[4cbcFaculty] Fwd: Math/Stat REU Conference June 21 and 22

Denise Lello dlello at smith.edu
Fri Jun 14 16:06:23 EDT 2013

Dear Colleagues,

Please note the forwarded announcement below about the NSF sponsored
conference at MHC next Friday and Saturday June 21-22.  One of the speakers
is Carlos Castillo-Chavez, a biomathematician, whose talks are of special
interest to our biomath community. He will speak twice on Saturday.

9:00-9:15 Carlos Castillo-Chavez (Arizona): The power of student driven REU
programs: an alternative model of learning through research

11-12 Carlos Castillo-Chavez (Arizona): Pathogens, Disease Evolution and
Mathematics: Challenges and Opportunities

Abstract: Universities are typically organized around disciplines and yet a
significant percentage of the most pressing problems that we face today
cannot be addressed within a single discipline. The mathematical sciences
(computational methods, mathematics, modeling, and statistics) provide the
language, tools and approaches, that is, the time-tested and novel
quantitative and computational modes of operating and thinking, that make
it possible for researchers to formulate and address some of the most
pressing interdisciplinary and trans-disciplinary challenges of our times.
Students interested in addressing, for example, sustainability, climate
change, health and economic disparities questions will benefit tremendously
from learning the basics of some scientific fields and the use of
computational and modeling tools and methods in such fields. In this
lecture, I will present, through my work on epidemics, the impact that
mathematics can have in the study of disease dynamics and evolution as well
as in public policy and the education of the next generation of
interdisciplinary and trans-disciplinary scientists.

We  hope many of you will be able to attend at least part of this
conference. You can find program details at the conference page at the
following link.
https://sites.google.com/a/mtholyoke.edu/reu-conference-2013/home

Best,

Denise